Temporary Services

If you are ill while away from home or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one you can receive emergency treatment from the local GP practice for 14 days. After 14 days you will need to register as a temporary or permanent patient.

Only persons who are already registered with a GP Practice in Northern Ireland can be registered as a ‘temporary resident’. You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months.

Any other persons needing temporary GP cover need to complete the HSC/R1 form to obtain free treatment. This includes:

  • Persons who are registered with a GP Practice in England, Scotland or Wales and are moving to NI to reside or stay here as a visitor.
  • Persons who have come to NI from other EEA countries or overseas. This can be someone born here who moved away and has returned for a visit or to take up residence again, or someone who has never been in NI before

You will need to complete the relevant section of the form, signed along with original photographic ID.

Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient at a practice in the town or area where you are already registered.