Eye problem

Opticians are better at diagnosing and managing eye problems than the GP so if you have an eye problem please contact your normal optician. If you are not known to an optician you can contact a local optician.

Opticians are highly trained at diagnosing and managing a range of eye conditions including;

  • blurred vision
  • sudden loss of vision
  • flashes/floaters
  • red eyes
  • sore eyes
  • dry watery eyes.

You can get free sight test if you are on income support /income based benefit or you are one of the below group:

  • aged under 16, or aged under 19 and in full-time education
  • aged 60 or over
  • registered blind or partially sighted
  • diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
  • aged 40 or over and you are a parent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a person diagnosed with glaucoma, or you have been advised by an ophthalmologist that you are at risk of glaucoma
  • eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher
  • People named on an NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC3) may also get help

Self-help guide: Eye problems

Find out more about your eye problems, when you can use self-care, and what to do if your condition worsens and you need medical help.

If you sustain an eye injury that requires immediate emergency treatment go to your nearest Accident and Emergency.